Thursday, February 24, 2011

24th Feb - Makati

We are back in Makati for our vocational day with our hosts RC Makati Bonifacio - for the rest of the team this starts with a visit to the City Government of Makati and a meeting with the Mayor, who by their reports, is a dynamic and insightful leader.

My visit was with KMPG San Augustin & Company, and as this is their busiest time of year, could only be fitted in this morning. I very much appreciate PP Adore Mejia taking time out of his busy day as an audit partner to tell me about the business and show me around the office. Perhaps the most notable difference as the noise, or lack thereof, the staff were all busy and focused on their work, with none of those water cooler conversations and jokes that are more common in our offices.

On to lunch at Italiannos, and as the rest of the team were delayed, a very pleasant half hour with Adore and PP Jorge Caparas.

After another excellent meal we went our separate ways for the afternoon - which unfortunately for Jo, included finding a doctor to deal with my Western stomach which has not been coping to well with the busy schedule and rich food.

The visit to the doctor was a memorable experience for an Australian, we arrived and the entire crew (our hosts, Jo, & I) were ushered into his office. My instructions are to maintain my fluids and eat little, but unlike Australia, no medication is provided, I assume because it is simply a matter of retraining a Western stomach. The doctor is a character and we hear about his divorce in Canada, return to Manila, the assistance of his Rotary classmates in reestablishing his clinic, and his past Australian girlfriend

Naturally, with me looking at my best, the consultation was followed by photos. Two more Australian girlfriends for Dr Antonia Pobre.

Unfortunately I was unable to attend my event for the evening, the charter anniversary of RC Forbes Park, which had an exciting program and was from the reports of our hosts and Jo, an enjoyable evening.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Everybody

    Libby is it the food or the beer? Will we have to feed the Filipinos 6 times a a day over here? How is the old fella doing? Sounds like you are having a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete